We might have landed ourselves in a new decade (roaring 20s, anyone?), but the old adage is still true:
A change is as good as a rest!
For you, change could mean jetting off to your favorite vacation spot. It could mean sprucing up your office for a more interesting day at work. Or, if you’re like us, it could mean making some changes right at home.
In any case, the New Year is the perfect opportunity to take advantage of this concept, and if you really want to know, it’s the reason why I love design in the first place.
We are all affected by our surroundings in conscious and subconscious ways. In my more than 16 years of experience in interior design, I have personally seen the power of big and even little changes in an environment. They can affect how people function, how they feel each day, and even how they view life.
So after you’ve taken down your Christmas decor and restocked your mantel and shelves with everyday items, go through these 5 steps and see if you can create some fresh style that inspires you to live better than ever in 2020.
You in? Let’s go, sister!
STEP 1. TAKE STOCK OF THE ROOM & ITS FUNCTION
Pick a room, any room. Then take stock of the room’s performance in your life:
• What are the functions of the room?
• Is it serving these functions well? How could it be better?
• Could the layout be moved around for a more streamlined, efficient flow?
• What do you like and dislike about its appearance? Texture? Color? Materials? Feeling?
Take notes, and then move on to the next step…
STEP 2. PURGE AND MAKE REPAIRS
Sometimes a simple tidy can make all the difference. Go through the space and decide which items are no longer serving the space well. These items could be moved to other rooms (see Step 3), donated, sold, or gifted to a new home.
Next, repair any items that need some love, and organize what’s left.
For storage, I suggest using attractive baskets, bins, or boxes. You’ll be amazed by the instant style transformation you can get from swapping out a plastic container for a simple wicker basket!
STEP 3. SHOP YOUR HOUSE FOR ART & ACCESSORIES
This is the fun part. You get to go shopping… in your house! Wander through your space and look at your art and accessories in a new light. As you do, ask yourself:
• Which would look fabulous and full of new character in the room you’re currently working on?
• Which complement or create beautiful contrast with my color palette?
• Which would help add a variety of texture to the space?
• Which would inspire the function of this space? (Ex. creativity, conversation, waking up, relaxing, etc.)
Gather any worthy contenders, bring them into the room in question, and get ready for Step 4!
STEP 4. STYLE YOUR SPACE LIKE A PRO
Styling is an art that takes a bit of practise, but that’s no reason you shouldn’t give it a spin. Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
• Create item groupings on shelves, desks, mantles, coffee tables, etc. Groupings usually include a mix of different items in odd numbers, like 3 or 5.
• Vary the colour, height, visual weight, shape, texture and purpose of the items in the room. Another true old adage… variety is the spice of life! (Example pictured below.)
• Do you have a collection? Showcase it!
STEP 5. GET SOME DECORATING HELP IF YOU NEED IT
If your room refresh fills you with hope and inspiration, you are ready to move on to another room in the house!
But if you need help, of course we’ve got your back. Our Room Polish service can get your space looking designer magazine ready in a flash. Think bookshelf arranging, gallery wall hanging, furniture rearranging, the works.
Reach out to us here if you need some support!
Before I wrap this up, I also want to mention that we’ll be participating in the Calgary Renovation Show on January 17-19. We’re partnering with Unique Projects, Divine Flooring, Sunview Cabinetry, Subzero Wolf + EQ3 to bring you our show-stopping booth!
Come see us at Booth 508, ask questions about your design or renovation project and get to know us!
Hope to see you there. 😉